Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Edutech Smackdown Open Mic

OpenMic_SimonScott_TLCafe12.jpgLast night, 12/3/12, I was excited to attend the Edutech Smackdown hosted by Joyce Valenza ()!  Moderators were The Daring Librarian (Gwyneth Jones ), Mighty Little Librarian (Tiffany Whitehead @librarian_tiff), with special guest The Nerdy Teacher (Nicholas Provenzano...)!  What a great time.  I'm not going to lie, I was sitting there in my Buffy "We Can Slay It" t-shirt, jumping up and down because I would be learning and communicating with some of the school library superstars that I have been following for years.  Yep, I may just be a librarian groupie (the non-creepy kind).  I logged in early (yep, 7:30 is my way to be on time for 8) and I sat in eager anticipation.  I even put down Finnikin of the Rock (although I was almost done with it and so deep into the world of Lumatere that it took me a while to shake it off).  

Blackboard Collaborate was a great interface for this to be done in.  The slideshow was viewed as the moderators chatted.  The open mic aspect of the presentation was great!  Not only did I hear from some of the great bloggers that I follow every day, I got to hear from people in the same situation (and not) as me.  

First of all, I cannot wait for next year's open mic (a whole year?!?) but also, I am so excited to be kickstarted into the world of webinars and virtual discussions.  This is the first of many that I am excited for!  

Takeaways from the night...(i.e. my notes, not yet put into tech integrationist/principal friendly format)


  • Infographics...Analyze, Deconstruct, Reconstruct
    • Deconstruct infographics as credibility checks
    • http://www.thinglink.com/
  • Smore...interactive posters, easily changed and updated, easy to use. 
  • MentorMob (p.s. I'm in love)...interactive, sequential playlist!  What a great tool for flipping the classroom!
  • MOOC (how is this new to me?)  Recorded lectures, informal learning opportunities, badges (!), real assessment...
  • Transcripts from the news?  TVNews My social studies teachers would love this! 
  • Pinterest...enough said.  
    • Here is my Library board...http://pinterest.com/meagantowle/libraries-are-amazing/
  • Picmonkey looks so good!  From the creators of Picnik (love and miss).
  • KeepVid (can also convert vid to Prezi-friendly format)
  • Common Sense Media...really well written lessons
    • Digital Citizenship curriculum for K-12
    • Any school going 1:1 should have something like this in place.
    • I also use to look up books, videos, etc reviews.
  • Geek Squad...how much do I think that Gilb and I should start a Geek Squad and a Library Club.  Techies and bookies unite!
    • Classtools.net
    • Have them help set up stuff...
    • Keeps Library in the forefront as a tech resource.
  • Nearpod
  • Glogster
  • Evernote 
    • I use Evernote all the time.  Take pics and sounds and put them right into your notes.  Have them available on all of your devices all the time. 
  • Subtext app
    • collaborative reading (students, teachers) with ePub books.  
I'm very excited about this stuff.  Let's see how we can start using it in the classrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment